Frequently Asked Questions
SafeLink Wireless is proud to offer Lifeline Service, which is a program that enables qualifying customers to receive discounts on monthly telephone service. In our version of the program, you will receive free cellular service, a free SafeLink Wireless cell phone and the assurance that you will get no bills and no contracts EVER!
SafeLink Wireless offers qualifying customers FREE cellular service. This service is currently available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. Soon, SafeLink Wireless service will be offered in the following states:
|SafeLink Wireless Service is coming soon to...|
General Questions - Benefits
What is SafeLink?
- SafeLink is a FREE cell phone program that provides a mobile phone and airtime each month to low income individuals at no cost to them.
- Individuals most likely qualify if they are enrolled in a social service program or fall below the poverty line.
- Applying is easy and can be done online at www.SafeLink.com or via a short paper application.
- Once a client is approved, they receive their handset within a few weeks with their monthly allotted minutes already uploaded to the phone. At the beginning of each consecutive month (for a period of 12 months) minutes will be automatically uploaded to the phone.
- Because the phone is prepaid, clients do not receive a bill and there is no way for them to go over their minutes or incur additional costs.
- Individuals have a choice of three different minute plans that include select call features, such as international calling and roll-over minutes.
- All plans include basic cell phone capabilities such as: text messaging, long-distance calling, call waiting, caller ID, voicemail and 411.
- Clients also enjoy the benefit of superior coverage through the use of Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile networks.
Why is this important for my organization?
In addition to helping the people you serve seek and retain employment and stay connected during emergencies, SafeLink can also generate revenue for your organization. Through a partnership with SafeLink Wireless, your organization may be eligible for compensation for all successful enrollments in the program - up to $10 per enrollment! That means you can earn money just by doing what you already do, connecting eligible individuals with social services that help get them back on the road to self-sufficiency.
How does my organization participate?
Qualifying organizations can participate in the SafeLink program by contacting a SafeLink representative at email@example.com. If you have any questions about participating or for additional information on the SafeLink program, please refer to the contact provided above or go to www.safelinkwireless.com.
What else do I need to know?
TracFone Wireless, Inc., America's largest prepaid cell phone provider, launched SafeLink Wireless in 2008 to provide free phone service through the Federal Lifeline program. Lifeline was created by the government to help individuals afford their phone service through subsidies given to phone providers. TracFone was the first company to offer completely free cell phone service though Lifeline and is still the leading Lifeline provider today.
How much does it cost?
It costs ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! You can enjoy your SafeLink Wireless Service at NO COST.
How many Minutes do I get each month?
The number of free Minutes you receive each month depends on the state you reside in. If you need additional Minutes, you can buy TracFone Airtime Cards at any TracFone retailer (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, Family Dollar, etc).
For how long is this service?
Upon enrollment you will receive your monthly allowance for 12 months and you will need to re-qualify once a year. You will receive text messages on your handset to remind you that you need to re-qualify for the service.
Will I be required to sign a contract?
With SafeLink Wireless, no contracts are ever required.
Are there any restrictions for this program?
As long as you qualify for the service according to state regulations, there are no other restrictions other than that your phone line must be based in your place of residence and under the name of the qualified customer.
Are any additional features available with the SafeLink Wireless service?
With the SafeLink Wireless Service:
- Features such as Caller Id, Call Waiting and Voicemail are all included for free (depends on the phone specifications).
- International long distance is the same rate as nationwide calls. (depends on the plan you choose)
- Unused minutes will always roll over. (depends on the plan you choose)
- Your handset will remain active for one year upon shipment.
- You can use all TracFone Airtime cards.
- If you currently buy the TracFone "Double Minute" card, all future Minutes purchased for your SafeLink Wireless handset will be doubled. However, your monthly allowance will NOT double with this card.
- 911 is a free call.
When will my SafeLink Wireless Service expire?
Your SafeLink Wireless service will expire when you are no longer eligible for benefits or if you fail to re-qualify after a year of enrollment. We will contact you with a friendly reminder before your annual verification is due. If you are no longer eligible, you will automatically become a regular TracFone Customer. You will be responsible for buying Airtime cards to add service days and additional Minutes.